TrueHD displaying as 2ch on PlayStation 5
-
AlanBell1975
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:56 pm
TrueHD displaying as 2ch on PlayStation 5
I have authored a Blu-ray with Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and a DD 5.1 for the fold-down. When played back on a PlayStation 5, the console states the audio is 2.0 despite it playing in surround through the amplifier. Research online has claimed this is an issue with how Blu-Disc handles secondary audio. Is this correct?
-
Alexey Kolesnikov
- Posts: 714
- Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 pm
TrueHD displaying as 2ch on PlayStation 5
Hi Alan,
Never heard about this issue. Could you send me this audio (MLP+AC3)?
Never heard about this issue. Could you send me this audio (MLP+AC3)?
Best regards,
Alexey Kolesnikov
Alexey Kolesnikov
-
AlanBell1975
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:56 pm
TrueHD displaying as 2ch on PlayStation 5
Hi Alexey, I have sent you the files to the usual email address.
Regards,
Alan.
Regards,
Alan.
-
AlanBell1975
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:56 pm
TrueHD displaying as 2ch on PlayStation 5
Hi Alexey,
I've done some further testing and I think I've narrowed this down considerably.
Your authored a test disc using the exact same MLP and AC-3 source files as me, but using the latest version of Blu-Disc Studio. This disc is correctly reported by the PS5 as multichannel TrueHD.
My disc, authored with Blu-Disc Studio MX Pro 4.60.2079, is reported by the PS5 as TrueHD 2ch, although the actual audio plays correctly as 5.1.
I compared the authored files from both versions. The TrueHD elementary audio itself is 5.1 in both cases, so the source MLP does not appear to be the problem.
The significant difference appears to be in the Blu-ray stream metadata.
In my authored CLPI, the TrueHD stream on PID 0x1100 is identified as TrueHD (coding_type 0x83), but its audio/channel attribute is 0x31.
Your CLPI, produced from the same source audio with the newer Blu-Disc Studio, the equivalent TrueHD stream has the attribute 0x61.
I also checked the MPLS corresponding to my M2TS and found the same 0x31 attribute associated with the TrueHD stream.
So at the moment it appears that 4.60.2079 is writing a 2-channel indication into the Blu-ray metadata for a 5.1 TrueHD stream, whereas the newer version writes the multichannel indication.
This would seem to explain the unusual behaviour: the PS5 displays TrueHD 2ch, presumably from the Blu-ray stream metadata, but the soundbar still receives/decodes the actual 5.1 TrueHD audio correctly.
There is another difference which may or may not be related: my metadata contains the language code 'new', whereas the newer BDS-authored version contains 'eng'.
If useful, I can provide the two CLPI/MPLS files for comparison, you already have the original MLP and AC-3 sources.
Does this correspond to a muxing/TrueHD metadata issue that has been corrected in a later version of Blu-Disc Studio?
Thanks.
I've done some further testing and I think I've narrowed this down considerably.
Your authored a test disc using the exact same MLP and AC-3 source files as me, but using the latest version of Blu-Disc Studio. This disc is correctly reported by the PS5 as multichannel TrueHD.
My disc, authored with Blu-Disc Studio MX Pro 4.60.2079, is reported by the PS5 as TrueHD 2ch, although the actual audio plays correctly as 5.1.
I compared the authored files from both versions. The TrueHD elementary audio itself is 5.1 in both cases, so the source MLP does not appear to be the problem.
The significant difference appears to be in the Blu-ray stream metadata.
In my authored CLPI, the TrueHD stream on PID 0x1100 is identified as TrueHD (coding_type 0x83), but its audio/channel attribute is 0x31.
Your CLPI, produced from the same source audio with the newer Blu-Disc Studio, the equivalent TrueHD stream has the attribute 0x61.
I also checked the MPLS corresponding to my M2TS and found the same 0x31 attribute associated with the TrueHD stream.
So at the moment it appears that 4.60.2079 is writing a 2-channel indication into the Blu-ray metadata for a 5.1 TrueHD stream, whereas the newer version writes the multichannel indication.
This would seem to explain the unusual behaviour: the PS5 displays TrueHD 2ch, presumably from the Blu-ray stream metadata, but the soundbar still receives/decodes the actual 5.1 TrueHD audio correctly.
There is another difference which may or may not be related: my metadata contains the language code 'new', whereas the newer BDS-authored version contains 'eng'.
If useful, I can provide the two CLPI/MPLS files for comparison, you already have the original MLP and AC-3 sources.
Does this correspond to a muxing/TrueHD metadata issue that has been corrected in a later version of Blu-Disc Studio?
Thanks.